Do you dream of being a writer?
Of sitting down with a cup of tea, an open notebook, filling up page after page.
Do you dream of telling your story; of touching someone’s heart with your words?
I absolutely know you can. It doesn’t matter what you’ve written (or not written) before.
What matters is right now: planting the seeds of words that will grow into a blog post or essay or book.
I’ve been where you are—unsure of what to write, of how to turn my vision and feeling into a coherent story. I know the tug of creativity, the pain of ignoring it, and the flourishing of paying attention and setting words to the page.
That’s why I created Harvesting Words: a writing workshop for farmers & gardeners.
Because I believe in the work you have inside you, and I believe in your ability to nurture it and help it grow.
You have stories inside you that want to sprout and bloom.
Harvesting Words, a writing workshop for farmers & gardeners, can help you grow them.
If you want to learn how to:
- Turn your idea into words
- Start and stick with a consistent writing practice
- Stop procrastinating
- Break through writer’s block
- Write in a way that reaches right to your readers’ hearts
If you’re looking for:
- Guidance & Accountability
- And resources to keep you writing long after the workshop is over
Then Harvesting Words just may be your cup of tea.
What Students Are Saying
"I have written more in the last week than I have written in the last 5 years. It feels as if that book I have so often told people I am writing may be being born".
- Sabrinajoy, farmer
"Since the writing workshop I've been naturally drawn to write a lot more, and I've even been thinking about things I want to write, word for word, it’s so beautiful. I catch myself writing in my head. I can't remember the last time I did this. It's so deep and meaningful. Thanks for sparking that in me again!"
- Lydia, painter
"I really enjoyed this workshop, especially creating writing goals. I came up with some new writing ideas that were inspired by the school garden we run, things I never even thought of before. Thank you for doing this workshop, I feel the spark of creativity coming back in me!"
-Rob, gardener & educator
Hey, I'm Kate, and I invite you to join me in this 30-day workshop to plant the seeds of your story, cultivate your writing practice, and harvest words.
Since graduating with a degree in English and Environmental Studies, I've spent the last 10 years farming and writing.
I'm co-owner of Good Heart Farmstead, L3C, a certified organic farm in Worcester, Vermont, and creator of The Good Heart Life, a blog dedicated to helping you grow an organic life from soil to soul.
My writing has been published in Heirloom Gardener Magazine, Taproot Magazine, Local Banquet, The Burlington Free Press, and I'm a regular contributor to the High Mowing Organic Seeds blog.
I believe that creativity and growing food & flowers are inextricably linked, and that when you tend to the seeds inside you, you can grow a more joyful, lively, and creative life.
Harvesting Words is an online writing workshop for farmers & gardeners who want to cultivate a writing practice and grow the inspiration you get from soil and seeds into stories.
What you'll get:
An online classroom where I'll guide you through four sections:
- Plant Seeds : sowing your writing practice
- Cultivate : growing your writing practice
- Harvest : revising & getting to the finished piece
- Workshop : ask questions & get feedback on your writing
Daily writing prompts:
Outside of the classroom, I'll challenge you to write 500 words a day, and send you daily writing prompts to keep you on track and motivated.
Community & Guidance:
You'll have the chance to comment and ask questions on each video lesson and interact with your fellow students. I'll be active in the comment sections offering feedback and answering your questions along the way.
Along with the core lessons, you'll also receive a bonus section on publishing called PROPAGATE.
On top of that, you'll be invited to join our bonus private Facebook group, where you can connect with me and fellow students.
Harvesting Words is all about cultivating a deep-rooted practice that grows far beyond 30 days.
After you've completed the workshop, you can return to these lessons anytime you need a boost of "compost" for your writing practice.
Plus, you'll get year-round support to continue growing your writing life through our bonus private Facebook group.
This is for you if:
- You're a beginning writer who isn't sure where to start.
- You are a writer, but aren't sure how to get from start to finish, and you're looking for the structure to keep you going.
- You want to get over procrastination, jump-start a new project, or finish one that's been languishing.
- You know that crops flourish when planted in community, and you want to grow your writing practice in a supportive community, too.
This isn't for you if:
- You already have a robust writing practice that fulfills your creative goals.
- You want to learn by osmosis — this workshop will only help you grow as a writer if you show up and do the work.
- You're looking for the technical aspects of running a blog. This workshop is focused on the creative process and growing an effective and supportive writing practice.
- You don't like farming or gardening – the framework of this workshop is rooted in the cycle of planting, cultivating, and harvesting.
What Students Are Saying
"I dreamed about writing but never started. Now I am more willing to write. Before it was all in my head. Now I have the motivation to get my pencil to paper."
- Janell, farmer
"Kate is a master teacher. Her lessons are motivating because she has an artful way of explaining the point she is trying to get across.
She teaches using examples, articles and videos. The curriculum includes lessons that build upon one another. Kate was always accessible by email if we didn't understand something or had a question about the curriculum.
Kate provided feedback on our writing pieces which included individual guidance to help us grow as writers."
- Ellen, gardener
I'm Kate: organic farmer, writer, and creator of The Good Heart Life.
I believe creativity and growing food are inextricably linked, and I help people like you grow more vegetables, creativity, and joy — all organically, of course.
Because you deserve a lively, joyful life that feeds your body and your soul.